Normally, I don’t touch fashion advice with a 10-foot pole. I GET fashion advice from my fashionista friends and then apply. Very simple. So, I posted a comment on my Facebook page this week asking for advice on how to dress for Thanksgiving with the boyfriend’s family. (I should clarify — they’ve met me, we’ve done time, so this isn’t a first meeting, but every family has different fashion dictates for every occasion and I needed some advice on this one.)
Some of my more fashion-forward friends provided great tips that I’ve decided to share for your enjoyment and possible use… (girls at the top of the post/guys at the bottom)
Posted in Advice for Girls, Advice for Guys, Dating, Etiquette, Relationship Advice
Tagged advice, christmas, family, fashion, Hanukkah, holiday dressing, impressing the parents, men, thanksgiving, what to wear, women
Holiday survival kit:
Items needed are as follows…
- Several cups of good cheer (small bottles pack better)
- One “free pass” in case of foot in mouth syndrome
- One “free pass” for laughing at an embarrassing family story or baby picture
- Code word for get me the h*ll out of here now
- Decoder ring for spotting signs of social or emotional fatigue
- Cheat sheet of all topics to avoid at the dinner table with the family (small enough to tape to side of dinner glass)
- File of waterproofed family customs in case of emergency (hide in guest room toilet)
- Family Tree complete with names, pictures and relations to study during travel
- Coordinated communication on just how you met, what your plans are for the future, where you are staying while visiting (if it’s not obvious) and if you live together or not
- Gassed up car to make a quick get away if needed
Holiday survival plan: Continue reading
Posted in Advice for Girls, Advice for Guys, Dating, Relationship Advice
Tagged communication, Culture, Dating, family, holiday, life, love, marriage, men, relationships, Travel, women
Strategies for coping with date’s family on Thanksgiving. Or 10 ways to make sure you DON’T get invited back:
- Don’t go and send your phone to one of those Nigerian scam emailers to field the angry follow up calls from your date.
- Join Aunt Mildred in breaking her 5 day sobriety count.
- Wear hair in pigtails and insist on sitting at the kiddie table because you’ll have more fun.
- Offer to come in spite of coming down with a case of the “whooping cough” that very morning.
- When asked about kids or marriage plans, tell everyone that you were thinking a commune in Waco would be a nice place to raise a family.
- Since your parents have been making noises about you gaining weight, make sure to get lots of cute pictures of you in your fat suit eating pie so they can feel like they were right there with you for the holiday.
- Take calls from your bookie at the dinner table. Make sure to ask the men of the house if they want you to place any game day bets for them.
- Bring your lap dog and insist on feeding her food that you pre-chewed for her… right at the table.
- Drown yourself in Axe body spray. It will completely alter the taste of the turkey forever. For everyone who can smell you.
- If you are someone who thinks loud farts, belches and booger wiping is funny, just be yourself.
Anyone else have ideas to help the daters who have to weather their date’s family for the holidays?
Posted in Advice for Girls, Advice for Guys, Culture, Dating, Etiquette, Humor
Tagged christmas, Dating, dinner, family, funny, holiday, Humor, thanksgiving